Thursday, November 4, 2010

Love It Or Leave It


A smug letter was written to the local newspaper and published in today’s edition.  Essentially the writer said that if conservatives didn’t like the way Californians voted on Tuesday, they should leave the state.

That reminded me of a popular phrase that circulated during the late 1960’s when a significant number of Americans were protesting the war in Vietnam.  The response to the protesters was simply, “America – Love It or Leave It.”  (They didn’t concern themselves about the morality or purpose of that war or about how many young American lives were being destroyed by it.)

It scares me when I think about how many fellow citizens actually embrace the immature “Love It or Leave It” mantra.  (A good example of why I think stupid and/or ignorant people should not be allowed to vote….but that’s a subject for a different blog post….)

Isn’t part of loving somebody wanting the best for that person?  If you found your loved one sick or engaging in behavior that was detrimental, wouldn’t you do all that you could to help alleviate the pain? 

You wouldn’t just walk away, would you?

Well, at least not right away.  I suppose that over time, if your love was unreturned, the hurt would be too much to bear, and leaving might be the best solution.

California now has more in common with Greece than just its Mediterranean climate.  It’s filled with people in the big coastal cities who feel entitled, and in fact, want even more from the government.  I don’t see any recovery fiscally possible given the tax-and-spend leaders currently in place.

So, while I do love California and am doing whatever I can to make her better, I see the law of diminishing returns soon setting in….and I will then have to make an exodus.

South Dakota?  There’s no state income tax there!

Panama?  We’ll see which way the U.S. A. goes in the next few years.  (I haven’t purchased my Rosetta Stone course yet….but am getting close.)


No comments:

Post a Comment