Two of my favorite TV shows have gone from fun and entertaining to outright boring and stupid.
Glee
“Glee” was….well….gleeful when it first appeared. Despite the fact that young men and women in their mid-20’s were portraying high school sophomores, the songs were well done and the story line OK. (I’ve always liked musicals anyway, and I’m not even gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!)
But something came unhinged and the show just got too weird along the way. I could overlook all the slushies thrown on members of the Glee Club – but when the script writers started strongly pushing the gay envelope with Kurt, I lost interest. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that!)
I had some favorite characters on the show. (None were regulars.) Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel have crazy-good vocals which I could listen to all day. Maybe somebody needs to create a new TV show starring these two. I’d watch!
Two And A Half Men
While Charlie Sheen is one of my least favorite people on the planet, he was perfectly type-cast for the role of Charlie Harper. A rich, spoiled, mostly drunken womanizer driven only by the lust to satisfy his massive ego. (Hey, perfect! This guy doesn’t even have to really act!) Brother Alan was the ideal foil and in the early days, the half-man kid was just cute and funny.
Sheen left and was replaced by Ashton Kutcher. The character they created for him? Another rich guy, but a cry-baby who WHINED incessantly! It’s irritating enough when toddlers whine. When adults do it, I turn off, tune out and leave!
This show is quickly going to go the way of Charlie Harper unless somebody wises up and allows Kutcher’s character to grow up.
It’s still appropriately titled “Two And A Half Men.” Only now, the half-man is Kutcher and not Jake.
No comments:
Post a Comment