Today I heard Michael Vick, quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles and every dog lover’s favorite guy tell the press, “We’re just going to take it one game at a time.”
I’m so sick of hearing players and coaches utter that phrase, that I decided to take my favorite sports clichés and write a little about each one.
We’ll start with Vick’s statement.
I suppose the logic behind taking only one game at a time is to not let the team get distracted beyond the next contest. Focus on the upcoming opponent and nothing more, etc.
My question is this: What’s wrong with a bigger-picture perspective?
Stephen Covey is fond of preaching, “Begin with the end in mind.” For football players and coaches, that means start the season with the goal of winning the Super Bowl. How many wins will that take?
Coaches should analyze the schedule; calculate the number of wins it will take and expect likely outcomes for ALL contests.
Taking one game at a time is really a ridiculous endeavor in basketball and baseball, where seasons are comprised of lots and lots of games.
Michael Vick could have been more honest and said something like, “We’re now 2 and 4 – and for us to have a chance to get into the playoffs, we have to win at least 7 out of the next 10 games.”
Wouldn’t that have been refreshing?
No comments:
Post a Comment