Maybe we ought to change our national motto from In God We Trust to In Government We Trust.
The prevailing wisdom emanating from both the White House and Capitol Hill seems to be that “government does it best.”
Whatever is ailing us at the time, the solution is more government – whether in the form of programs or money.
So….it’s really government that we trust in – isn’t it? I imagine if it was really God in whom we put our trust, we would be on our knees every day.
When I was in high school, I lived in Northern Virginia. Lots of government and military workers in the Washington D.C. metro area. When I worked with both groups, there was a common expression used whenever a task was completed to less than the expectation. The saying was, “Close enough for government work.”
All of us are familiar with the lack of efficiency, poor response, grossly-inadequate customer service and outrageous costs seen in every governmental operation. (Think DMV or the military paying $900 for a hammer.)
Why then do so many of our leaders believe that more government is the answer?
No comments:
Post a Comment