March 19 is always a special day for me. That’s because on March 19, 1929 my father was born.
He would have been 82 today, if he had not died shortly after turning 58. I still miss my dad.
What kind of man was he?
He was a humble man. Quiet and unassuming, his chosen profession, speech-writer, fit him perfectly. He was the “man behind the scenes.” While those who delivered his speeches got the glory, it was my father, the word-smith, who crafted the lines, anecdotes and jokes.
He was an intelligent man. There was little in the humanities field that escaped his knowledge. And he was a walking dictionary and thesaurus.
He was a wise man. As I pin-balled my way through life in those early years, I frequently would tell myself, “My dad was right.” Generally this occurred after I would choose a different path, only to discover that I was in error and my dad correct once again.
He was a kind man. His intention was never to hurt anybody else.
He was a disciplined man and a hard worker. Until he suffered from the cancer that eventually claimed his life, I can’t recall him ever missing a day of work. He followed his routines and did what he knew to be right.
He was a model husband and father. He encouraged me and believed in me. He was always there watching me play basketball in high school.
Speaking of basketball, it’s March-Madness once again. This was my dad’s favorite. He loved watching the college b-ball teams compete in the NCAA tourney. (He would have been so proud of his grandson, the B-Man.)
I’ll never be the man my father was - but I certainly have a worthy role-model and legacy
to guide me.
No comments:
Post a Comment