Friday, December 10, 2010

Don't Ask - Don't Tell


The military policy regarding homosexuals in the armed services which has been in force since 1993, is “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”  (And actually, “Don’t Pursue” as well.)

This was a compromise after President Clinton tried to provide equal rights for gays in the military.

The DADT policy had an opportunity to be repealed recently – but Congress refused to do so.

What exactly is the big deal about homosexuals serving in the military?

I think it all comes down to homophobia.

If I’m working (or fighting, for that matter) next to a guy who prefers other dudes vs. women, but does his work and performs his job well, what difference does that make to me?

Some make the argument that openly-gay service members will harm unit morale.  Again, I ask why.  And I go back to the fact that the root cause must be prejudices held by those who are anti-gay.

Let’s take for example one who holds racist views.  When he finds members of his platoon who may be Black or Asian or Latino, does he complain that their inclusion hurts morale?

It wasn’t that long ago that military units were segregated by the color of a man’s skin.  Our nation recognized that this practice was wrong.

I applaud diversity, and in my opinion, this includes incorporating homosexuals into our everyday routines.

But for now, those gay and lesbian military members will have to stay in the closet to serve our country.

Not that anybody is asking me….but if asked, I would tell them that this is disgraceful and unfair to our fellow Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment